Chlorothalonil – Near-Total Prohibition For The Golf Industry – Trade Associations Respond To Health Canada – 2016 03 30
Health Canada’s Proposed
Amount To A Near-Total Prohibition
For The Golf Industry
Golf Industry Trade Associations
Respond To Health Canada
March 30th, 2016
Selected And Adapted Excerpts
Golf course superintendent trade associations are responding to the announcement by the Pest Management Regulatory Agency ( PMRA ) of Health Canada concerning its IMPOSITION OF A NEAR-TOTAL PROHIBITION AGAINST CHLOROTHALONIL.
CHLOROTHALONIL is the active ingredient found in a fungicide ( disease control product ) used in the Golf Course Industry.
PMRA has PROPOSED TO ALMOST ENTIRELY PROHIBIT THE USE OF CHLOROTHALONIL ON TURF, except for a single time per year, and JUST FOR SNOW MOLD CONTROL.
The Ontario Golf Superintendents Association ( OGSA ) is concerned that if the PMRA’s PROPOSED CHLOROTHALONIL PROHIBITION is adopted, it will have a SIGNIFICANT, DELETERIOUS IMPACT ON THE TURF INDUSTRY, particularly golf courses.
According to Mark Prieur, President of OGSA, in his letter to the PMRA, dated March 23rd, 2016 ―
We understand that if this PROPOSED AMENDMENT is adopted, CHLOROTHALONIL uses will be SIGNIFICANTLY RESTRICTED [ i.e. PROHIBITED ], and in particular, the use of CHLOROTHALONIL on turf would be RESTRICTED to a single time per year, and JUST for snow mold control, which will NOT be adequate to address the large variety of turf diseases which exist on Canadian golf courses.
OGSA President Prieur said that CHLOROTHALONIL is key for the control of several turf diseases, such as Dollar Spot, Helminthosporium Leaf Spot, Brown Patch, and Anthracnose.
CHLOROTHALONIL is also VITAL in golf courses’ defense against Snow Mold Diseases.
Without it, he added, GOLF COURSES WOULD BE SUBJECT TO DESTRUCTION.
According to OGSA President Prieur ―
CHLOROTHALONIL plays a key role in resistance management as it is the ONLY multi-site control option and is absolutely necessary when a severe disease outbreak occurs.
Without the availability of CHLOROTHALONIL, turf managers would be FORCED TO USE PREVENTATIVE TREATMENTS REPEATEDLY during the growing season, RESULTING IN OVERALL INCREASED CHEMICAL APPLICATIONS.
OGSA President Prieur argued that if the PMRA’s PROPOSED NEAR-TOTAL PROHIBITION AGAINST CHLOROTHALONIL is implemented, Canadian golf courses would find themselves at a COMPETITIVE DISADVANTAGE to their American counter-parts, which would be able to continue with certain CHLOROTHALONIL uses that would no longer be available in Canada, putting them at a CLEAR DISADVANTAGE in the North American market-place.
According to OGSA President Prieur ―
Our industry is already governed by legislation, which is in place in most jurisdictions of Canada ( and certainly here in Ontario ), which requires golf course staff to be trained in the judicious use of such chemicals, and meticulous records are required to be kept as to its use.
The products containing CHLOROTHALONIL that golf course superintendents currently use have an established history of safe and effective use for more than 45 years.
We would point out that UNLIKE OTHER AGRICULTURAL USES for this chemical, the turf industry is NOT APPLYING IT TO A CONSUMABLE PRODUCT.
Syngenta Canada, the manufacturer of CHLOROTHALONIL, has also made its position clear about the PMRA’s NEAR-TOTAL PROHIBITION AGAINST CHLOROTHALONIL in a news release to the Golf Industry ―
The amendment is significantly different from the previously published proposed decision from 2011 and, if adopted, will SIGNIFICANTLY RESTRICT and in some instances REMOVE [ i.e. PROHIBIT ] certain CHLOROTHALONIL uses.
We stand behind and are confident in the science behind Syngenta products containing CHLOROTHALONIL which have an established history of safe and effective use for more than 45 years.
We are currently reviewing the document and will respond to it as part of the 60 day comment period.
We are also engaged with various associations and are working with them as part of the review of and response to the publication of this amendment.
Superintendent associations, including the Western Canada Turfgrass Association and others across the country, are alerting their members to the PMRA’s PROPOSED CHLOROTHALONIL RESTRICTIONS, and are promoting letter-writing campaigns to state their concerns before the PMRA.
Chlorothalonil ― Its Story & Sad End
For almost a decade, observers have warned the Golf Industry that it should not feel too smug about its PROVINCIAL PESTICIDE EXCEPTION STATUSES. http://wp.me/p1jq40-96D
And now, with the IMPOSITION OF A NEAR-TOTAL PROHIBITION AGAINST CHLOROTHALONIL, observers are forced to continue to repeat their WARNING ― ANTI-PESTICIDE TERRORISM WILL NEVER END until the Golf Industry has LOST all of its conventional pest control products.
The year 2016 signals a sad end for CHLOROTHALONIL, an ingredient that has survived 50 years of bogus urban legends, such as the 1982 Prior Affair, and was a part of the golden scientific age of pest control products.
On February 9th, 2016, Pest Management Regulatory Agency of Health Canada ( PMRA ) invited the public to submit written comments on the « Re-Evaluation Note REV2016-06, CHLOROTHALONIL – Amendment To The Proposed Re-Evaluation Decision ».
PMRA has PROPOSED TO ALMOST ENTIRELY PROHIBIT THE USE OF CHLOROTHALONIL ON TURF, except for a single time per year, and JUST FOR SNOW MOLD CONTROL.
PMRA has based its CHLOROTHALONIL PROHIBITION on a human health risk assessment.
Until April 11th, 2016, PMRA said that it will consider the comments received before making a FINAL DECISION TO RESTRICT ( AND BASICALLY PROHIBIT ) CHLOROTHALONIL.
In essence, PMRA has PROPOSED TO RESTRICT THE USE OF CHLOROTHALONIL ON TURF to a single time per year, and JUST FOR SNOW MOLD CONTROL.
PMRA has also proposed that OTHER USES OF CHLOROTHALONIL CONTINUE BE UNRESTRICTED on asparagus, carrot, celery, cucurbits, ginseng, mushroom, parsnip, potato, strawberry and tomato.
Both Golf Industry and Agriculture Industry use the VERY SAME ingredients for the control of pests.
Observers have concluded that if it is safe to eat pesticide-treated food, then it is safe to play on pesticide-treated golf courses.
Nevertheless, it is GOODBYE CHLOROTHALONIL !
What remains to be negotiated is THE TIME-FRAME FOR THE PHASE-OUT OF RESTRICTIONS AGAINST CHLOROTHALONIL. http://wp.me/p1jq40-9kj
TO AVOID ITS IMMINENT DEMISE, and the TOTAL LOSS of ALL of its conventional pest control products, the Golf Industry must immediately address several CRITICAL ISSUES.
The Golf Industry must recognize that it is on a COLLISION COURSE with the LOOMING SHIPWRECK of Anti-Golf and Anti-Pesticide Terrorism !
Regardless of its Provincial Pesticide Exception Statuses, the Golf Industry faces some huge challenges because of its high degree of vulnerability concerning several public affairs issues.
Critical Issues For The Golf Industry
In order to successfully deter the malicious efforts of all Fanatical Golf-Hating Anti-Pesticide Terrorists, the Golf Industry must immediately address the following CRITICAL ISSUES … http://wp.me/P1jq40-4FC
1. PEST CONTROL PRODUCTS ― The Golf Industry must STRONGLY ADOPT THE POSITION that conventional pest control products are scientifically-safe and will cause NO harm. The Golf Industry must also ADOPT the policy that the ONLY course of action against prohibition is through litigation.
2. PESTICIDE EXCEPTION STATUS ― The Golf Industry must PLAN for the inevitable and total revocation of its exception status in most jurisdictions across Canada.
3. TRADE ASSOCIATIONS ― The Golf Industry’s trade associations must CEASE publicly supporting the prohibition against conventional pest control products used in the urban landscape. These trade associations must STOP torpedoing the Professional Lawn Care Industry.
4. FERTILIZERS ― The Golf Industry must also ADOPT the position that its use of any fertilizers does NOT harm the environment.
5. ANTI-PESTICIDE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS & ACTIVISTS ― The Golf Industry must CEASE its pointless and wasteful attempts to educate and to convince pesticide-hating government officials and activists. These fanatics will NEVER reverse their attitudes against conventional pest control products.
6. ANTI-GOLF/ANTI-PESTICIDE ORGANIZATIONS ― The Golf Industry must TERMINATE all relationships with all pesticide-hating & environmental organizations that conspire to prohibit against conventional pest control products, like Canadian Cancer Society, World Wildlife Fund, and others.
7. RIGHT-TO-KNOW DATA-BASE ― The Golf Industry must CREATE a fully transparent data-base for right-to-know concerning its conventional pest control products.
8. INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT ( IPM ) ― The Golf Industry must CEASE focusing on the ineffective practices of Integrated Pest Management ( IPM ) as the solution to its public affairs problems. Trade associations allege that the best way to minimize inputs is through the use of integrated pest management ( IPM ), despite the fact that, overall, IPM cultural practices DO NOT control pests of established turf and ornamentals.
9. ORGANIC PESTICIDE-FREE GOLF FACILITIES ― The Golf Industry must ESTABLISH policies for expelling golf facilities using this inaccurate and misleading term from its trade associations. Organic pesticide-free maintenance CANNOT be successful with green alternative pesticides and practices. Additionally, the Golf Industry must VIGOROUSLY EMBARK on a massive public relations campaign to discredit organic pesticide-free maintenance, declaring it as a dismal failure.
10. GREEN ALTERNATIVE PESTICIDES ― The Golf Industry must DENOUNCE the so-called green alternatives to conventional pest control products as bogus. Green alternatives like hydrogen peroxide and compost tea do NOT work, and may even be ILLEGAL.
11. ANTI-PESTICIDE TEACHING & RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS ― The Golf Industry must also DENOUNCE cultural practices as a so-called « legitimate alternative » to the use of conventional pest control products. Cultural practices do NOT work in controlling pests.
12. MAINTENANCE PROTOCOLS ― The Golf Industry must DEVELOP and publish golf maintenance protocols and the performance standards expected by its playing customers. These protocols and standards MUST include the regular use of conventional pest control products.
13. GO BROWN ― BROWN IS BEAUTIFUL ?!?! ― The Golf Industry must OPPOSE go brown anti-cosmetic golf course maintenance. Golfers DO NOT want to play on brown depressing unplayable courses.
14. POLITICAL ACTION ― The Golf Industry Must openly and financially SUPPORT all political candidates who oppose any prohibition of pest control products and fertilizers.
15. ANTI-PESTICIDE TEACHING & RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS ― The Golf Industry must TERMINATE all relationships with all teaching and research institutions, such as University of Guelph, that VALIDATE and SUPPORT the PROHIBITION against pest control products. ALL joint activities and educational seminars MUST BE ENDED for an indefinite period of time.
For The Whole Truth About THE GOLF INDUSTRY, Please Go To The Following Links …
GOLF INDUSTRY — GOLF DESTRUCTION — GOLF IS NEXT — CRITICAL ISSUES FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE GOLF INDUSTRY ( Web-Page )
GOLF INDUSTRY — THE GOLF INDUSTRY COLLISION COURSE — DEMISE IS IMMINENT ( Web-Page )
GOLF INDUSTRY — LOOMING SHIPWRECK — PREDICTIONS CONCERNING THE LOSS OF ITS PESTICIDE EXCEPTION STATUS ( Blog )
GOLF INDUSTRY — THE GOLF INDUSTRY COLLISION COURSE — EXAMPLES OF ATTACKS AGAINST GOLF FACILITIES — 2013 03 25 ( Report )
GOLF INDUSTRY — BOGUS ORGANIC GOLF COURSES — 2010 11 00 ( Report )
GOLF INDUSTRY — BOGUS ORGANIC GOLF COURSES — BLACKBURN MEADOWS GOLF CLUB — BOGUS ORGANIC PESTICIDE-FREE GOLF COURSE — BANKRUPTCY & RECEIVERSHIP — SALT SPRING ISLAND, BRITISH COLUMBIA — 2010 11 16 ( Report )
GOLF INDUSTRY — CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY — DEMANDS NO GOLF EXCEPTION STATUS — POSITION STATEMENTS AGAINST THE GOLF INDUSTRY — PESTICIDE BAN ( A.K.A. PHASE-OUT ) NECESSARY BECAUSE GOLF IS COSMETIC ( Web-Page )
GOLF INDUSTRY — GO BROWN — ANTI-COSMETIC GOLF MAINTENANCE — WHO WANTS TO PLAY GOLF ON #@!!% BROWN GARBAGE DUMPS ?!?! ( Web-Page )
GOLF INDUSTRY — SHARP PARK GOLF COURSE ( USA ) — ENVIRONMENTAL TERROR UNDER THE PRETEXT OF PROTECTING OBSCURE AND INSIGNIFICANT SPECIES ( Web-Page )
GOLF INDUSTRY — FAILURE OF WESTERN CANADA TURFGRASS ASSOCIATION ( Web-Page )
GOLF INDUSTRY — FAILURE OF WESTERN CANADA TURFGRASS ASSOCIATION — TERROR NEVER ENDS — BLACK DEATH — 2011 01 31 ( Report )
GOLF INDUSTRY — THE GOLF INDUSTRY COLLISION COURSE — GOLF EXCEPTION STATUS WILL BE REVOKED IN QUEBEC — 2012 05 12 — FRENCH TEXT ( Report )
GOLF INDUSTRY — THE LOOMING GOLF INDUSTRY SHIPWRECK — NO LONGER A HOPEFUL FUTURE ( Web-Page )
GOLF INDUSTRY — THE LOOMING GOLF INDUSTRY SHIPWRECK — GOLF USES SIX PER CENT OF ALL PESTICIDES USED IN MANITOBA — 2012 05 23 ( Reports )
To fight the war against Anti-Pesticide Terrorism, you need facts !
Read … PESTICIDE TRUTHS
Watch … UNCLE ADOLPH
Listen To … NORAHG
Learn From … FORCE OF NATURE
Discover What Anti-Pesticide & Enviro-Lunatic Terrorists Are Doing And Saying About Subversively Imposing Their Life-Style Choices Against Our Society.
Read … Reports, Blogs, & Videos, From Force Of Nature, NORAHG, Pesticide Truths, & Uncle Adolph ― The Whole Truth From An Independent Perspective.
Communities and businesses are being HARMED and DESTROYED and RAPED by LUNATIC-TERRORISTS who ARBITRARILY AND RECKLESSLY IMPOSE PROHIBITIONS against pest control products used in the Urban Landscape and by the Agriculture Industry, and who PERPETRATE OTHER ACTS OF ENVIRONMENTAL TERRORISM.
We are living in the 9|11 Era of Anti Pesticide & Environmental Terrorism where at least ONE SUBVERSIVE ACT OF TERRORISM is perpetrated EVERY SINGLE DAY by LUNATIC-TERRORISTS.
A LUNATIC is a person whose actions and manner are marked by extreme recklessness.
The RECKLESS ACTS OF SUBVERSION by these LUNATIC-TERRORISTS has led to the ARBITRARY IMPOSITION of Anti-Pesticide PROHIBITION in several jurisdictions throughout North America.
The result was CATASTROPHIC CARNAGE !
Because of LUNATIC-TERRORISTS, provinces like Ontario now have a TRAIL OF ECONOMIC DESTRUCTION WITH HUNDREDS OF SMALL BUSINESSES DESTROYED and THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE OUT OF WORK, a MORE DANGEROUS OUTDOOR ENVIRONMENT, and a BLACK MARKET IN PESTICIDES.
Only TRUE LUNATICS would wish to create a TRAIL OF ECONOMIC DESTRUCTION WITH HUNDREDS OF SMALL BUSINESSES DESTROYED and THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE OUT OF WORK.
Because of LUNATIC-TERRORISTS, we are living in the DARK AGE OF ANTI PESTICIDE TERRORISM where sound science is trumped by FAKE SCIENTISTS, JUNK SCIENCE and UNVERIFIABLE SECRET EVIDENCE through FABRICATION, INNUENDO, and INTERNET RUMOR ― scientific research PROVES that pest control products will CAUSE NO HARM and can be USED SAFELY.
An informed public is better able to protect itself and its communities and businesses from LUNATIC-TERRORISTS who are THE LEAST QUALIFIED TO PROVIDE ANY ADVICE about pest control products or the environment.
NORAHG is the National Organization Responding Against HUJE that seek to harm the Green space and other industries, and the well-being of our communities.
NORAHG morally represents the VAST SILENT MAJORITY of people associated with turf and ornamental plant maintenance who are OPPOSED to LUNATIC-TERRORISTS and their Anti Pesticide PROHIBITIONS, resulting in the CLOSURE or ABANDONMENT of green spaces under the RIDICULOUS PRETEXT CONCOCTED BY LUNATICS of somehow « saving » the environment.
NORAHG is a NATIONAL NON-PROFIT NON-PARTISAN organization that does not accept money from corporations or governments or trade associations, and represents NO VESTED INTERESTS WHATSOEVER.
NORAHG is dedicated to reporting PESTICIDE FREE FAILURES, as well as the work of RESPECTED & HIGHLY RATED EXPERTS who promote ENVIRONMENTAL REALISM and PESTICIDE TRUTHS.
NORAHG strikes back against the MYTHS concerning the need for prohibition against pest control products.
NORAHG RESPONDS on behalf of the VAST SILENT MAJORITY of THE PUBLIC THAT DOES NOT WANT PESTICIDE BANS, and SUPPORTS those who work in the Professional Lawn Care Industry, the Golf Industry, and the Agriculture Industry.
RESPECTED & HIGHLY RATED EXPERTS
THE MYTHS ABOUT BANNING PESTICIDES
VAST SILENT MAJORITY
NORAHG is opposed to PESTICIDE FREE jurisdictions where LUNATIC-TERRORISTS have DOOMED CHILDREN to SUFFER INJURIES since Anti-Pesticide PROHIBITION inevitably leads to public and residential green spaces that become DANGEROUS AND PEST-INFESTED GARBAGE DUMPS.
Go to the following links …
ANTI-PESTICIDE PROHIBITION DESTROYED GREEN SPACES
PESTICIDE BANS MADE OUR GREEN SPACES LOOK #@!!% UGLY – PHOTO GALLERY
EMERALD ASH BORER – SAFE & EFFECTIVE INSECTICIDES VERSUS CHAIN SAWS
NORAHG is concerned that, because of PESTICIDE FREE MAINTENANCE of parks and sports fields, CHILDREN ARE AT HIGHER RISK OF SUFFERING INJURIES with DANGEROUS PLAYING SURFACES CREATED BY #@!!% PESTICIDE BANS.
CHILDREN ARE NOT AT RISK
NORAHG pledges to deliver comprehensive reports that are worthy of peoples’ time and of peoples’ concern, reports that might ordinarily never have breached the parapet.
NORAHG was the brainchild of William H Gathercole and his colleagues in 1991. Mr Gathercole is now retired, although his name continues to appear as founder.
Force Of Nature Reports & Blogs were launched by NORAHG for CONTINUOUS transmission on the Internet on January 1st, 2009 ― however, the VERY FIRST Stand-Alone Force Of Nature Report was issued on September 19th, 2008.
On March 15th, 2010, Uncle Adolph independently launched The Pesticide Truths, an easy-to-use Web-Site that collects relevant reports of information right-off-the-press.
Primus inter pares, first among equals, describes Pesticide Truths, Uncle Adolph, and Force Of Nature ― they are formally equal to each other and are all accorded equal respect.
The Reports & Blogs from Pesticide Truths, Uncle Adolph, and Force Of Nature, in some ways, are like Google for everything concerning the SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES of Anti-Pesticide and Enviro-Lunatic Terrorists.
Many of these Reports & Blogs provide a sequence of historical events WITH COMMENTARY, the neutrality of which might be disputed.
This is what we do. Don’t thank us. It’s a public service. And we are glad to do it.
For The Complete Library of reports from Force Of Nature, NORAHG, Pesticide Truths, and Uncle Adolph, go to the following archives …
ABOUT UNCLE ADOLPH
FORCE OF NATURE WEB-PAGES
NORAHG ⁄ FON ON FACEBOOK ― NORAHG RESPONSES
PESTICIDE LINKS ― PESTICIDE QUESTIONS ANSWERED BY HEALTH CANADA
TABLE OF CONTENTS ― THE COMPLETE LIBRARY OF WEB-PAGES, REPORTS, & REFERENCES
THE PESTICIDE TRUTHS WEB-SITE ― ARCHIVE OF REPORTS
UNCLE ADOLPH’S ORIGINAL PESTICIDE TRUTHS BLOG
UNCLE ADOLPH ON SCRIBD ― OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS
UNCLE ADOLPH ON YOUTUBE ― VIDEO LIBRARY
When lies, false allegations, and terrorism against pest control products are left unanswered, they risk becoming accepted as conventional wisdom !
What have YOU done in the war against Anti-Pesticide Terrorism ?!?!
1 thought on “Chlorothalonil – Near-Total Prohibition For The Golf Industry – Trade Associations Respond To Health Canada – 2016 03 30”
Comments are closed.