Calvin Sonntag AgriBusiness CEO | Debate to ban pesticides simply nonsensical | Highlights limits of provincial governments scientific literacy | Have your say – Winnipeg Free Press

The current debate to ban all pesticides is simply nonsensical and highlights the limits of the scientific literacy of our august and learned provincial government.

Most likely recall the debate over pitbulls, a purportedly dangerous breed that some argued should be banned in the interests of public safety. Had the same logic been applied to the current proposition to ban the use of all cosmetic pesticides, we would have been considering the ban of all dog breeds, including our neighbour's poodle.

CALVIN SONNTAG

Winnipeg

Experts agree on ban

In your Sept. 18 editorial Pesticide ban skews evidence (Sept 18), you say when considering a pesticide ban the "best experts" should not be ignored.

Indeed. The best experts — organizations such as the Manitoba College of Family Physicians, Canadian Cancer Society, Manitoba Lung Association, and the Learning Disabilities Association of Manitoba — all support a lawn pesticide ban.

GIDEON FORMAN

Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment

Toronto

23730947

9:12 AM on 9/19/2013

Fine. The Manitoba College of Family Physicians, Canadian Cancer Society, Manitoba Lung Association, and the Learning Disabilities Association of Manitoba can all come out and weed my lawn.

23732187

9:58 AM on 9/19/2013

That comment made my day. Thanks 23730947 !

23627222

2:11 PM on 9/19/2013

@23730947. Bang on! It's easy to pick on the homeowners who use one can of ant spray and 4ml of herbicide, per year. Let's see them take on the farmers who use many times the chemicals as do you and I. And I don't begrudge the farmers their use of chemicals for one second. They stop using them, we stop eating. Simple as that. It's just easier for zealots to pick on us.

CKC

12:06 PM on 9/19/2013

GIDEON FORMAN
Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment

Thank you Gideon for your common sense, it seems to me some folks value killing dandelions more than the health of their babies, family members and pets, makes no sense to me at all!

Just say NO, no more pesticides, it literally is killing us, our water, bumblebees and ecosystems right before our eyes!

Rodney 2

1:42 PM on 9/19/2013

I'd like someone, anyone, to show me some of the proof that using pesticides is killing us.

23627222

1:56 PM on 9/19/2013

@CKC Thank you CKC for your complete lack of basic sense. It seems to me some folks value unscientific personal beliefs more than they value the results of actual scientific studies. Just say NO, no more uneducated opinions that are killing basic sense right before our eyes.

23627222

1:52 PM on 9/19/2013

Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment? So if I need my lawn/garden healed I go to them? Are their physiotherapists for the Environment. You know, just in case pharmacotherapy isn't the answer.
The worst part about this is that people who have advanced degrees (Like Gideon Forman) , don't use real science in their quest to impose their beliefs on everyone. Oh…wait…that's what all zealots do.

via Have your say – Winnipeg Free Press.