Taks Force Lead : Dr. Maarten Bijleveld – Founding Member World Wildlife Foundation Netherlands
Co Author : David Goulson – Friends of Earth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DEkm1p-Y-A
Task Force Lead:
Dr. Maarten Bijleveld, email@example.com
Task forces are not open to all members, but by invitation only.
In March 2011, an international task force was set up under the IUCN Species Survival Commission and the Commission on Ecosystem Management to bring together the scientific evidence needed to underpin action on neonicotinoid pesticides, the most prominent of the systemic pesticides currently used to "protect" more than 140 different crops and sold in 120 countries. Neonicotinoid pesticides have rapidly grown to become the most widely used group of insecticides globally, with a marketshare of 25%. Suspected by some scientists of being the cause of the worldwide decline of honey bees and wild pollinators, neonicotinoids are a set of nicotine-based systemic insecticides, differing from conventional spray products in that they also can be used as either seed dressings or as soil treatments and as a result they are dispersed into plant tissues, as well as washed into aquatic habitats through runoff. Their high persistency in soil and water results in a sustained (chronic) exposure of non-target organisms such as invertebrates to harmful concentrations. Neonicotinoids are neurotoxins that act on invertebrates’ information processing by affecting a specific neural pathway that is more common in invertebrates than other animal groups, making them popular very broad spectrum insecticides.
- Alberta won’t follow Ontario in banning bee-killing pesticide | Sun News
- EU Bee Ban is Legally Flawed | Colony Collapse Disorder: European Bans on Neonicotinoid Pesticides | Pesticides | US EPA
- Non Experts | Gideon Forman | David Suzuki | “Neonic” Pesticide Ban Vital for Bee Health – and Our Own NorthumberlandView.ca
- Professor Nigel Raine | Role of Pesticides in Bee Decline | Scientists Call for Evidence Based Debate | University of Guelph
- Bee Friendly Plants | Pesticide Free Failure | Bell Nursery | Growing Without Neonicotinoids | Greenhouse Grower
- Bee Health | POEA Glyphosate Evaluation Failure | Andrew Gage | Health Canada | West Coast Environmental Law
- New Pesticide Ban Victims | Pre Poisoned Plants | Sod Farms Garden Centers Nurseries | Bee Die-Offs |
- Ontario Bee Keepers | Constant Complaint Disorder | Not Colony Collapse | Industry Losers | Wynne will Save Them
- Canadian Bee Health | Almost Scientist / Activist Christy Morrissey |A new generation of LUNATIC scientists, Page 2 — Environmental Health News
- Bee-ing Smart: Regulators Must Distinguish Activists’ Bad Dreams From Good Evidence – Forbes